Who We Are

Our congregation is served by a large number of people who give enthusiastically of their time and energy to strengthen the Church.

Rev. James Hyndman: minister of First Coleraine. We welcome James, his wife Janice and their two boys to the North Coast.  James has had many years of ministry serving in Saintfield and most recently in Boardmills.  He is looking forward to what God has in store for us all here in First Coleraine.

 

 

Rev Eddie Dorrans: our pastoral visitor, is a retired minister and he and his wife Mary give of their time to visit many members of the congregation offering prayer and support in all kinds of circumstances. During the vacancy he is also available more often to preach and lead worship.

 

 

Liz Dowey: our Church Outreach and Support worker. Liz has been with us since March 2011, and has responsibility to oversee all Youth and Children’s work and develop our ministry to families.

 


Rosemary Watson: our Church Administrator since 1999. Rosemary works in the office carrying out an endless range of administrative tasks from producing the weekly bulletin, printing magazines, dealing will enquiries and making sure the others don’t  do anything too crazy.

Stephen Gleghorne: our part time Youth Worker, who began work in First Coleraine in June 2017. Stephen comes from Antrim, but has settled into the work here and is available to help lead our youth activities and guide and encourage all our young people.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The past and the present.

There have been Presbyterians in Coleraine since 1643, however the early years of Presbyterianism in Coleraine were marked by many changes and uncertainties. The first Presbyterian minister, Thomas Vesey, was actually the Rector of St Patrick’s! He became a Presbyterian for a time, though he continued to minister in St Patrick’s. He later reverted to the Established Church again. We can trace ‘Presbyterian worship’ back to 1644 though it is likely that there was not a formal place for such services till the late 1660s. The earliest building was probably very primitive and sited in Meeting House Lane (now known as Abbey St), very close to the current building.

Throughout three and a half centuries since our foundation we have worshipped in at least two buildings, and carried out a considerable number of alterations to them. The current one was erected in 1829 and has served many generations well.

During this time the style of our worship has altered radically, but the reason for worship and the meaning of what we do has not changed. Today we are blessed with a modern and comfortable building. We are led in worship in many different ways. First impressions may have changed but we read the same Bible, worship the same Lord, proclaim the same gospel, and share the same fellowship of the Church of Christ in every nation and century. In these unchanging things we rejoice.